Osaka, Japan – Panasonic Corporation announced today that it has commercialized a temperature-resistant sidefill for surface mount assembly applications. Sidefill CV5797U improves both the reliability and productivity of automotive electronic assemblies. The company will launch the product in March 2021.
Automotive electronics need to operate reliably under severe service conditions like shock, vibration, and environmental temperature extremes. As automotive sensing, control, and communications have become increasingly sophisticated and powerful, the electronic systems enabling them are becoming more complicated; semiconductor packages are getting larger, interconnects are getting smaller and system designers are packing more components on every square millimeter of circuit board real estate. As a result of the increased component density, semiconductor packages are subject to greater thermal stresses over their operational lifetime which fatigues the interconnect joints, leading to solder cracking and ultimately to device failure.
To address this problem, Panasonic is developing a portfolio of surface mount reinforcement materials including temperature-resistant sidefill, CV5797U. These products are based on Panasonic’s polymer formulation capabilities and flow control technologies. The new CV5797U sidefill is designed to prevent solder cracking by reinforcing the periphery of large semiconductor packages. Under ambient conditions, CV5797U has a pot life of 72 hours, which is three times as long as conventional sidefill. A longer pot life reduces material handling challenges, contributing to higher productivity in the electronic assembly process.
Panasonic's new sidefill delivers the following benefits:
1) CV5797U improves assembly-level reliability by inhibiting solder joint failure.
- • This material exhibits an excellent combination of high Tg (160C) and low CTE, (14 ppm) to reduce stress on the solder joint during temperature cycles.
- • This material shows exceptional temperature cycling performance, withstanding 6,000 cycles between -55C and 125C.
(Test conditions: 6 mm × 6 mm WLP, SAC305 solder, 0.3 mm solder ball pitch, 264 solder balls, 30 mm × 30 mm × 1.0 mm board)
2) CV5797U offers improved handling performance which means higher productivity during surface mount assembly
- • This material has a pot life of 72 hours under ambient temperature, which is three times longer than that of a conventional sidefill (CV5314).
- • This sidefill material drastically reduces reinforcement process time by approximately 90% when compared to a conventional underfill process.
(Test conditions: 25 mm × 25 mm BGA, SAC305 solder, 0.5 mm solder ball pitch, 2,025 solder balls, 40 mm × 40 mm × 1.6 mm board)
- • This material can be applied by via jet dispensing for high throughput.
3) CV5797U improves the reliability of large surface mount package
This material can reinforce BGAs larger than 25 mm × 25 mm
Reinforcing surface-mounted semiconductor packages and electronic components used in automotive camera modules, automotive communication modules (millimeter-wave radar modules), automotive ECUs (electronic control units), next-generation cockpits, headlights, and more.
The product will be displayed in SEMICON China 2021, which is scheduled to be held at the Shanghai New International Expo Centre from March 17 to 19, 2021.