- Jim Doyle (L), President, Panasonic Enterprise Solutions Company, accepts official certification from Guinness World Record with Eddie Gossage (center), President, Texas Motor Speedway from Philip Robertson Guinness World Records adjudicator.
In a ceremony held at Texas Motor Speedway on 6 April, Guinness World Records recognized Panasonic for its role in the construction of 'Big Hoss TV,' officially proclaiming the gargantuan video board to be the 'Largest High-Definition Television LED Screen' in the world. A Guinness adjudicator made the official certification prior to the start of the day's Duck Commander 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup series race. With the click of a button on an oversized Panasonic remote control, the technical wizardry of the screen came to life and 'Big Hoss TV' was ushered into permanence in the esteemed record book.
Panasonic has now constructed the two largest LED video boards in the world - 'Big Hoss TV' in the top spot and the Charlotte Motor Speedway now in second. "Sports and entertainment is a growing business market, particularly with display signage and high-definition LED boards. This plays to our strengths and offers us an excellent opportunity to showcase our product portfolio and do what we do best, which is delivering customized video solutions," said Jim Doyle, President of Panasonic Enterprise Solutions Company.
What's Big Hoss TV?
- Source: Texas Motor Speedway
Panasonic custom-built the colossal high-definition (HD) LED video board and its support structure in a condensed four month schedule. Positioned in the middle of the renowned racetrack's backstretch, 'Big Hoss TV'is 12 stories high and built to withstand wind speeds up to 120 miles per hour. The 108-ton structure rests on 16 support beams, with each buried 40 feet deep into bedrock. It also has an active display area of 20,633 square feet, measures 218-feet-wide by 94-feet-high, incorporates 4.8 million pixels and can generate a staggering 281 trillion different colors.
A control room located three-quarters of a mile away generates content for the display. Creative engineering from Panasonic and its partner, VizRT, resulted in a front-end interface, a technical innovation that enables display operators to manage the complex arrangements of pixels and imagery as one cohesive canvas, rather than a separate collection of individual squares.
- A front-end interface enables display operators to manage all data elements, including the complex arrangements of pixels and imagery as one cohesive canvas.
Based on its success in managing complex, large-scale display projects in some of the most high-profile stadiums and arenas throughout the country. Panasonic is enjoying a growing reputation within the sports and entertainment industry. Its expertise in helping facility managers drive revenues by providing greater branding platforms for sponsors and engineering better fan experiences is gaining wide acclaim.
- 4K Ultra LED video board at Churchill Downs (Image)
Next month, a 4K Ultra LED video board will be the showpiece at Churchill Downs, during the 140th running of the Kentucky Derby. Panasonic is also spearheading a comprehensive LED display solution throughout Lincoln Financial Field, home to the Philadelphia Eagles, highlighted by two end zone video boards totaling over 9,400 square feet, in time for the start of the upcoming 2014 NFL season.
HOW “BIG HOSS TV” STACKS UP… BY THE NUMBERS
|281 Trillion||Number of different colors that can be displayed|
(3,328 Horizontal x 1,440 Vertical)
|Pixels – exceeding full HD resolution|
|14,376,960||Number of Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) on the face of the display|
|20||Distance between adjacent display pixels (in millimeters)|
|960,000||Total weight of the structure (in pounds)|
|216,000||Weight of the LED video display (in pounds)|
|20,633||Active display area (in square feet)|
|6,500||Brightness (in cd/m2) – approximately 30 times brighter than a standard HDTV|
|1,380,000||Maximum power (in watts)|
|218||Width of Big Hoss (in feet)|
|94||Height of Big Hoss (in feet)|
|135||Horizontal viewing arc (in degrees)|
|125||Height from the ground to the top of the board (in feet)|
|120||Wind speed Big Hoss is designed to withstand (in miles per hour)|
|16||Number of buried support beams|
|40||Depth the supports are buried (in feet)|
|2,000||Current average viewing distance (in feet)|
- [Press Release] Panasonic Enterprise Solutions Company Recognized with Guinness World Record
- [Press Release] Panasonic Announces Installation of World's Largest 4K Video Board at Churchill Downs by Churchill Downs
- [Press Release] Philadelphia Eagles and Panasonic Announce Expansive Partnership
- [Press Release] "BIG HOSS TV" READYING FOR BIG-TIME PREMIERE WITH NEXT WEEK'S STAR-STUDDED PUBLIC EVENT by TMS Media Relations | Mar 11, 2014
- Panasonic Solar Power Generation System HIT Up and Running at the Infineon Raceway