Main Contents begins from here.
Jun 7, 2011
Panasonic Develops New UniPhier®*1 System LSI for Smart TVs with Industry's Fastest CPU*2
Osaka, Japan - Panasonic Corporation has developed a new UniPhier®*1 system LSI (MN2WS0220) for smart TVs and will begin sample shipments in June 2011.
To improve performance and user interface, smart TVs require powerful software processing capability as they support various applications on the Internet. Achieving these improvements has called for a system LSI that has both a high quality AV processor and a high speed CPU on a single chip.
Panasonic's new chip will open the way for a new generation of smart TVs that allow users to simultaneously enjoy two TV broadcasting channels, as well as Internet-based content and applications in high-resolution at the same time. In addition, the new chip is able to reduce power consumption of and the number of components used in smart TVs, which will help drive smart TVs to spread in the global market.
- The new system LSI adopts a new architecture comprising of Panasonic's UniPhier®*1 processor with a proven track record in high quality processing of audio and visual content and a general-purpose high speed dual CPU which has high performance for network applications to realize a high performance and high resolution Smart TVs.
- Adopting the industry's fastest*2 1.4-GHz dual core CPU (ARM®*3 Cortex-A9TM*3 Dual), it can achieve fast, stress-free and smooth operation in network applications.
- A high-performance 3D graphics circuit supporting full HD resolution is essential for smart TVs. Integrating such a 3D graphics circuit and audio and video codec, the new system LSI has all the functions required for smart TVs on a single chip. As a result, it enables to deliver exciting images by combining graphics and video. Further, the new chip enables to cut power consumption by about 40%*4.
- UniPhier®*1 new architectures, which enables parallel, simultaneous operation of the UniPhier®*1 processor's TV signal processing that is in real time treatable of AV contents and the dual-core CPU's handling of wide range open-source software.
- Circuit design technology for high-speed processors, enabling implementation of a dual-core CPU and high-capacity cache memory, as well as operation at 1.4-GHz clock frequency.
- One-chip system LSI integration technology that combines UniPhier®*1 processor and high speed dual-core CPU, high-performance 3D graphics circuitry with unified memory architecture which achieving efficient data transfers between shared external memory.
UniPhier®*1 System LSI for Smart TVs
Panasonic Corporation is a worldwide leader in the development and manufacture of electronic products for a wide range of consumer, business, and industrial needs. Based in Osaka, Japan, the company recorded consolidated net sales of 8.69 trillion yen (US$105 billion) for the year ended March 31, 2011. The company's shares are listed on the Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya and New York (NYSE:PC) stock exchanges. For more information on the company and the Panasonic brand, visit the company's website at http://panasonic.net/.
- Global Public Relations Office Panasonic Corporation
- Tel: 03-6403-3040
- Panasonic News Bureau
- Tel: 03-3542-6205
Banner area begins from here.