Select a Local Newsroom
  1. Asia & Oceania
  2. China & North Asia
  3. Europe & CIS
  4. Latin America
  5. Middle East & Africa
  6. North America

Panasonic Supplies Green Energy Technology to "EMERALD ACE" Hybrid Car Carrier

Mar 09, 2012

Panasonic today announced a launching ceremony was held for the "EMERALD ACE", a hybrid car carrier using natural energy, at the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Kobe Shipyard. Panasonic has been undertaking the research and development of hybrid car carriers using natural energy, together with Mitsui O.S.K. Lines, Ltd. (Mitsui O.S.K. Lines) and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) since January, 2010. This project was selected by Japan's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism to be part of its "Project to Develop Technologies for the Reduction of CO2 Emissions from New ships".

  • 01_ecoship_HIT.JPG
    EMERALD ACE Hybrid Car Carrier at the Launching Ceremony
  • 02_ecoship_HIT.jpg
    Panasonic HIT Solar Module Image

In the upcoming project, Panasonic supplied Mitsui O.S.K. Lines with its solar panels (160kW planned) and lithium-ion rechargeable batteries (approximately 2.2MWh planned) as verification test units for marine vessels. Panasonic is aiming to establish technologies to reduce CO2 emissions from marine vessels with this hybrid system combining solar panels and lithium-ion rechargeable batteries and diesel generators commonly used in marine vessels. The electric power generated in the solar panels and stored in the rechargeable batteries will be mainly used while the ship is in harbor, allowing the diesel generators to be turned off while in harbor, contributing to the reduction of CO2 emissions. The lithium-ion batteries, which will be used as ballast, will be located at the bottom of the ship, without affecting the stowage capacity.

This is a verification test project. Panasonic will continue to develop and offer a variety of energy solutions as a company with the technology of energy storage and creation.

Live Archive by Japan Maritime Daily on USTREAM at Kobe, Japan

(Live at 8:45am - 9:25am JST)

Related Links:

Corporate News

Panasonic Announces Personnel Change

Apr 28, 2017

Panasonic acquired 57.01% of the outstanding shares in Zetes and will launch a mandatory takeover bid for the remaining 42.99%

Apr 28, 2017

Additional Disclosure with Respect to Panasonic's "Announcement of Commencement of Tender Offer for Share Certificates, Etc. of PanaHome Corporation (Stock Code: 1924) and Termination of Share Exchange Agreement between Panasonic Corporation and PanaHome

Apr 27, 2017

The content in this website is accurate at the time of publication but may be subject to change without notice. Please note therefore that these documents may not always contain the most up-to-date information.

News Feed

RSS Feeds

Copy and paste this code.