This Marks the First Such System in the World as a Genuine Accessory for a Car Maker
Panasonic today announced that it has delivered its in-car Display-Audio*1 system compatible with the new MirrorLink™*2 smartphone-to-car connectivity standard for the Toyota iQ city car being sold by Toyota Motor Europe NV/SA becoming the world's first*3 OEM supplier of such product for the car industry. This genuine Toyota accessory named "Toyota Touch Life" is being offered as a dealer option for the iQ in Europe.
The 2-DIN-sized Display-Audio system features an AM/FM radio and a seven-inch WVGA TFT color touchscreen display, which literally mirrors the user's smartphone screen, showing MirrorLink™-enabled applications running on the smartphone. Using the in-dash touchscreen display, the driver can access smartphone applications by the new industry standard connectivity technology, such as maps, car navigators and music players that are designed with driver safety and convenience in mind.
- Toyota Touch Life: Panasonic Display-Audio system with MirrorLink™ for Toyota iQ (Picture: Toyota Motor Europe NV/SA)
Nokia provides the first MirrorLink™-certified smartphone to work with in-car headunits. Nokia smartphone users can download the Nokia Car Mode app from Nokia Store for Nokia MirrorLink™-enabled smart phones to be connected with Toyota Touch Life. Nokia Car Mode app (available in December)*5 which simplifies the user interface to give direct access to the device's telephony, navigation, and music player functions. This easy-to-use GUI (graphical user interface) ensures that drivers can access only the most essential and non-distracting functions on the smartphone while the car is on the move.
Differently from MirrorLink™, Apple iPhone*6 users can use iPhone applications, including navigators such as the Garmin StreetPilot®*7 app, internet radios and news apps such as AUPEO! and Stitcher*8, and social media such as Facebook and Twitter*9 using the proprietary built-in application interface and the custom protocol with Apple's product certification. Users of iPhones (running iOS 4 or later) can download the free Application Launcher app from the App Store to connect their devices with Toyota Touch Life.
- Display-Audio is the naming of car audio system with display by Panasonic.
- MirrorLink™ is the new industry standard connectivity protocol, developed by Car Connectivity Consortium, enabling two-way communication between the car's in-dash display and applications running on the smartphone.
- Car Connectivity Consortium members are among the world's leading automotive, mobile communications and consumer electronics industry companies, including Toyota and Panasonic. Please visit www.carconnectivity.org.
- Nokia Car Mode app with MirrorLink™ support will be available for download on Nokia 701, 700, 603, expanding to include N8, E7, C7, X7 and C6-01 models at a later date. Support for N9 is also planned.
- iPhone is a trademark of Apple Inc.
- Two versions of the Garmin StreePilot® navigation app are currently supported, including maps for Western Europe and the United Kingdom and Ireland.
- AUPEO! and Stitcher apps are subject to regional availability in the App Store.
- Application Launcher uses the Twitter API (application programming interface) to access Twitter.