Panasonic's new, low-profile DW relay meets overseas safety standards and helps make remote-control systems for smart homes smaller and thinner as well as less power consuming.
Osaka, Japan - Panasonic Corporation announced today that it has developed and will release this month a thin-design DW Relay (Inrush Low-profile relay ) suited for remote-control applications such as smart switches  and smart power outlets  used in smart homes. The product conforms to overseas safety standards and responds to the growing demand for smart homes in overseas markets.
With the growing concern over global warming and resource shortage problems, there is increasing demand for energy management that facilitates effective use of energy and resources, and the market for smart homes equipped with such energy management systems is expanding globally. Adoption of switches and power outlets for remotely controlling various types of equipment, such as lighting fixtures and home appliances, is expanding. Switches and power outlets contain multiple relays for switching power on and off, but these units need to be installed into limited indoor space. As a result, they need to feature a low profile and low power consumption. Panasonic's new relay is thin, with a height of 15.8 mm, and achieves low power consumption, making it possible to create compact, high-functionality and power-efficient switches and power outlets.
This new product has the following features:
- Thin product height of 15.8 mm allows for compact-sizing with no loss of functionality for remote-control systems.
- Dimensions (WxLxH) (mm): 10.0 × 24.0 × 15.8
( Panasonic's conventional product* (WxLxH) (mm): 10.0 × 24.0 × 18.8)
*DW relay (inrush type)
- Holding power of the coil is zero by the adopting a latching function, contributing to reduce the power consumption of the remote control system.
- Conforms to overseas safety standards designed to enhance the safety and reliability of remote control systems
- USA UL Standards, Canada cUL (CSA) Standards, Germany VDE Standards
China's CQC certification is scheduled to be obtained (within FY2016)
Remote-control systems (smart switches, smart power outlets) for lighting, home appliances, etc. used in smart homes
-  Inrush low profile relay
- A relay that can handle the brief surge of high current (inrush current) that flows through it when an electrically-powered device is switched on.
-  Smart switch
- A switch module that enables the remote operation of connected products
-  Smart power outlet
- A power outlet enabling remote control of what is plugged into it that makes existing home appliances as controllable as a smart appliance.
-  Smart homes
- A home that enables optimum control of energy consumption with improved comfort by enabling occupants to remotely control housing equipment such as lighting, electric shutters/curtains, air conditioners, electric locks, etc.